3 Children Die in Lagos Fire Outbreak

Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you.

[media-credit name=”stelladimokokorkus.com” align=”aligncenter” width=”320″]IMG_20141112_130942[/media-credit]A report reaching us confirms how a mother locked up her three children, aged 10 years, 7 years and a 6 month old infant before leaving to an unknown destination; they were burnt beyond recognition, when fire razed the top floor of block 54 located at Jakande Estate, along the Mile 2 area of Lagos. The fire, which started small, was noticed by a passerby who then raised an alarm and attracted neighbors. Apparently the mother lit a candle she got from her pastor who said the candle would help avert evil calamity.

Though the father and those around tried all they could to rescue the kids, but the flame of the fire overpowered them as they watched helplessly.

Confirming the incident, the Public Relations Officer of National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), South-west Zone, Mr. Ibrahim Farinloye, said the fire, which started about midnight, destroyed the top floor of block 56 at Jakande Estate, where the two teenagers and infant lived.

β€œBut our best was not good enough. And already, we had called the emergency numbers but they were not fast enough. When the two fire trucks from the Fire Service got here, the fire was still raging but the kids were dead.”

β€œIt took almost one hour after we called in that the Fire Service came to our rescue even though they kept assuring us they were on their way. It was disastrous.”

This is not the first time we have heard stories of mothers locking up their kids, leaving them all alone in the house and this particular one is just heartbreaking. Please people, locking up your kids in the house and leaving them alone is NOT safe!!!!! We understand that coping with 3 children in a busy market might be a bit of a challenge, but it is better to go through that stress than to lock them up in the house. I hope we all learn from this and desist from such foolishness.


The news was carried on thisdaylive.com


The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates Program. Therefore, the links here might be affiliate links and sales from them may earn a small commission for us – at no extra cost to you. Since we only recommend stuff we have faith in, you’re in good hands.

We'd love to hear from you

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.