If you have never tasted coconut rice before, you are in for a treat. Originally from the Akwa Ibom area of Nigeria (at least, that’s what they will tell you since it’s coconut country), it is a delicious meal that is enjoyed by everyone, especially children.
We went searching for an easy to make recipe and we stumbled on this one from Kauna Kitchen. First of all, let me pause here to say that I really LOVE this food blog. The photography is just awesome and the blog owner, Uneku, has a really lovely smile 🙂
According to her:
“Coconut rice is quite easy to make and tastes even better when prepared with fresh coconut milk. Nigerians have different recipes for making coconut rice, but no matter the recipe used, the flavour of the coconut milk should always stand out in your dish. You could also add diced vegetables if you so desire, but I prefer to keep my coconut rice simple.”
She also shares a recipe for making homemade coconut milk on the blog.
So on to the recipe:
Coconut Rice Recipe
- 2 cups of rice
- 2 cups of fresh homemade coconut milk (you can use canned coconut milk as well)
- 1-2 cups of chicken or beef stock
- 2 tablespoons of dry ground crayfish
- 1/2 an onion (finely diced)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut, vegetable, or canola oil
- 2 seasoning cubes (knorr or maggi)
- Salt, to taste
- 4-6 scent leaves/basil
- 1/2 cup of green peas or long beans, optional
- 1/4 of a scotch bonnet pepper/atarodo, very optional
For the instructions, you will have to visit Kauna Kitchen
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates Program. Therefore, the links here might be affiliate links and sales from them may earn a small commission for us – at no extra cost to you. Since we only recommend stuff we have faith in, you’re in good hands.