Bitterleaf is a common vegetable growing used in most homes in Nigeria. It has been used for generations and there are quite a number of health benefits of bitterleaf.
A close family relative of mine, had some health challenges which had deferred all medical treatments. She was then advised by a friend to try drinking bitter leaf juice. Two weeks after after, we noticed drastic improvements. This made us realize the numerous health benefits of bitter leaf.
Bitter leaf is often used in cooking soup, it has this bitter taste that gives the the soup a peculiar taste. Every part of the bitter leaf is bitter, from the root to the stems and the leaf itself are bitter.
Since it is very bitter and cannot be chewed, it is only advisable to extract the juice from it and drink.All you need to do is: pluck the quantity of leaf you desire, wash it thoroughly ( you can add salt to the water, so it would kill the micro organisms on it), and squeeze the leaf to get the juice.
Bitter leaf juice is easy to prepare and it works wonders in the body. Below are some health benefits.
Health Benefits of Bitterleaf:
- Bitter leaf is good for the liver.
- Bitter leaf is good for diabetes patients, because it helps reduce their sugar level.
- Bitter leaf helps stop diarrhea.
- Bitter leaf helps in lowering the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Bitter leaf helps in treating kidney problems at its early stage.
- It increases the blood level.
- It is an excellent cure for malaria.
- It relieves fever and fever conditions
- Bitter leaf juice helps in nourishing the skin.
- It is used to increase the production of breast milk in nursing mothers.
If the juice is too bitter for you to drink, you can add milk to it to make it sweet, or you can add some sweet fruits like orange and pineapple to it.