Okra is a vegetable we use in making soup.Some eat okra fresh, this is also good because okra contains a lot of nutrients which improves our health. Okra is cultivated throughout the tropical and warm temperate regions around the world.
Okra is low in calories and it rich in vitamins such as Vitamin A, Thiamin, B6, and C. It is also rich in folic acid, riboflavin, calcium, zinc and dietary fiber.
The health benefits of Okra includes:
- Okra is usually recommended for pregnant woman, because it is rich in folic acid which is very essential in the neural tube formation of the fetus during 4-12 weeks of gestation period in the mother’s womb.
- Okra also contains mucilage and fiber which helps adjust blood sugar by regulating its absorption in the small intestine.
- Also the fiber in okra, is essential in maintaining the health of the gastro-intestinal tract.
- Okra helps reabsorb water and traps excess cholesterol
- Okra prevents constipation, gas and bloating in the abdomen.
- Okra is ideal for weight loss over low flame to retain its properties.
- Okra facilitates the propagation of good bacteria referred to as probiotics
- It heals ulcers and stops irritable bowel movements
- Okra is also good for the hair, as it makes the hair bounce, shiny and healthy.