Police Parades Dogs that Attacked Four Year Old Boy

[media-credit name=”Punchng.com” align=”aligncenter” width=”360″]Abraham dog attack[/media-credit]The other day we brought you the story of Four year old Omonigho Abraham whose head was eaten up by dogs. It was a gruesome story and it brought out the outrage in our staff writer as well as several readers. Thankfully, Governor Fashola of Lagos state took over responsibility for the care of the little one.

On Tuesday, the Lagos Sate Police command paraded the two dogs that attacked the little boy. They said the two dogs had been examined and were found to be free of diseases, which is something positive as the parents won’t have to worry about rabies or other diseases. The dogs are in police custody and despite the call from the public that they be killed, the Commissioner of Police, Cornelius Aderanti stated that the fate of the dogs was in the hands of the courts. In a statement he said:

“We have brought the dogs out so that the public would know that they are still in police custody. They have been examined and they show no negative trait. It is only the court that will decide what happens to them. The police cannot decide to kill the dogs.”

The dogs seem to have a reputation for terrorizing residents and even though the owner was advised to do something about them, all accounts show that he did not. Since they were his dogs and he did not do much to contain the nuisance, he will be held responsible for attack on little Omonigho Abraham. As a matter of fact he has already been arraigned in court for negligence even though he’s been released on bail.

This is a grim lesson for the rest of us and it is unfortunate that we’ve had to learn this at the expense of that little boy. No one is saying that you should not keep animals but if you choose to, you have the responsibility to ensure that they are not a nuisance to those around. You need to keep them secure.

 

*news source: Punch Online

 

 

 

We'd love to hear from you