[media-credit id=1 align=”alignnone” width=”600″][/media-credit]A very high percentage of toddlers are known to beg for food when they see people eating, most times they even go as far as rejecting what their parent or ward offers to them to eat, to begging for food or snack from a total stranger. I think it is very embarrassing when toddlers beg for food from people or when your toddler sees a plate of food pass and keeps staring at the food and the person eating the food.
As parents it is of great importance to groom your toddlers on how to say NO to food being offered to him or her, it is not an easy task but you will be satisfied with yourself if you take up the challenge. In Nigeria kids that beg are referred to as ‘Long throat children‘ or Beggy beggy children. You wouldn’t want a situation whereby you are in a public place with your toddler and he or she starts crying and throwing tantrums over another person’s food.
Below are few ways on how to groom your toddler to say NO:
- As a parent, endeavor not to give them food when they beg, that is when they have been fed. Remember charity begins at home.
- You can talk to them in a subtle manner, letting them know the dangers of taking food, snacks or anything from strangers.
- Caution them immediately you notice them begging for food.
- Give them a little spank on the bum or hand when they beg, so they know begging is wrong
- Try to feed them well, although we know some toddlers still beg for food even when they are well fed.
- Find something to take their attention away from the food or the person at that particular time.
- Have a code language they understand, it could be with your hands or eyes.
- If you notice any progress, encourage them, this would make them want to do better.
- Always have someone keep an eye on your toddler.
Helping your toddler grow and start making decisions on their own is a lot of work, but it is also fun. Do not despair when they do not make immediate progress, have patience, do not rush them and do not be too hard on them. With time you will notice changes.