Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
Winter can be a harsh time for us if we’re not careful about our appearances. The cold and frigid winds can cause havoc on our bodies and it makes our skin flake and peel due to the lack of moisture in the air. Dry weather, cold days and other factors do us no good in the winter, so it helps to build up a list of tips that will help us look our best during these chilly days.
Instead of pulling your hair out picking up tips from different magazines and online blogs, we’ve compiled a handy list of tips to help you look your best this winter with relative ease. No matter how much time you spend reading different sources, it’s going to take you several days to get all of the winter care tips you need, so this article will act as a handy guidebook for you.
We’ve separated the categories so that it’s easier to read. So without further ado, here are some beauty and health tips that will help you look your best during the winter.
Taking Better Care of Your Skin
Our skincare routine during the winter should be slightly different than what we’re used to in the spring or summer. This is because the weather can have different effects on our bodies and it’s important to try and plan ahead when it comes to winter skin care. If you know how your skin reacts to the reduced moisture in the air and the colder temperatures, then it makes it a hundred times easier to plan ahead. However, if it’s your first time taking your skin seriously over the winter, then here are a couple of tips to give you a hand.
- Keep water at a warm temperature – If you take hot showers as a way to warm yourself up, you might find that it actually dries your skin and is actually no good for your body. While a hot shower or bath can feel fantastic, it’s just going to strip away the essential oils from your skin that help keep it moisturised and smooth.
- Use plenty of moisturisers – The winter weather can be harsh on our skin and it’s likely to make the cells crack, flake away and look unsightly. Carry plenty of moisturised with you to keep your face smooth during these chilly months.
- Monitor the humidity carefully – Winter comes with a drop in humidity and this can cause our skin to start peeling away. Get a humidity monitor and check that it hasn’t dropped drastically below 50%. If it has, then you may need a vaporizer or a humidifier to increase the water content in the air.
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated – You need to stay hydrated when it’s cold because it will help to detoxify your body. This is a tip you should follow regardless of the season but is especially helpful for the winter.
- Wrap up to protect your skin – Sounds obvious (since you’ll be doing it to stay warm!) but it’s important to protect your skin by wrapping up in plenty of warm layers.
- Keep the heat at a warm level – Lastly, turn that heater down. Central heating systems are known to contribute to lower humidity and will be no good for your skin, so try and stay away from heating your home too much.
If you don’t take care of your skin in the winter, you’re going to have a lot of work on your hands when it comes to spring. Don’t let the cold weather ruin your complexion!
Look After Your Hair
Your hair is another component of your beauty that needs special care during the winter.
- Protect your hair – Whether it’s with a hood, a hat or a beanie, make sure you protect your hair when you go out so that it doesn’t become damaged.
- Keep it hydrated – Hydration is important for the hair. Make sure you avoid as many chemical products as possible and pick up a good conditioner for your hair.
- Avoid using too many tools and products – Not only is it a quick way to losing your hair, but over-styling during the winter can make your hair feel grimy and nasty.
- Dry your hair before you head out – Never heard out anywhere with a wet head. Keep it dry before you go outside so that you don’t risk damage your hair.
If you value your hair then you’d be wise to invest in a few of these tips. Whether it’s to protect your hair from frizzing on a windy day or to keep it hydrated so that your scalp doesn’t flake, it’s a good idea to take better care of your hair during the coldest season of the year.
Learn to Accessorize
There are plenty of cool winter accessories to pick from. With so much choice available, we’ve listed a couple of the most beautiful (and practical) accessories that will generally work with any outfit.
- Pick up some glasses – If you wear contact lenses, then you might find it more comfortable to just wear prescription eye glasses during the winter. Not only do they frame your face and transform your look, but they’re better for your eyes because they prevent you suffering from the side effects of wearing contacts during the winter.
- Fur hats and beanies – Not only do hats and beanies protect your hair during the winter from frigid winds, but they also look absolutely stunning if used correctly. Winter beanies are nice and big and they go well with virtually any outfit. Fur hats can look extravagant and can become centrepieces in your outfit.
- Large oversized scarves – Not only does a scarf help you cover up more skin, but they’re soft, comfortable and look brilliant with most winter outfits. You can get basic scarves in a solid colour, you could purchase one with a unique pattern design, or you can find scarves with logos and other fun designs.
- Gloves and mittens – Gloves are essential to keep your hands from freezing off during the winter, but they can also look great with your winter outfit. Try and find a pair of fingerless winter gloves so that you can still operate your phone, but look for a pair with a folding “hood” for your fingertips on the glove itself.
- Carry an umbrella – It might sound strange carrying an umbrella, but it can get rather wet and horrible in winter if you live in a country that gets quite a lot of rain. Umbrellas can look stylish and make great accessories to add to your outdoor outfit.
There are other fashionable accessories that can complete your winter outfit, but most people can do fine with just a scarf and some form of hat. A great place to pick up winter accessories would be any relatively large retail clothing store. There’s usually plenty of selection on offer and you be surprised at how something minor like a scarf can drastically change the way you look.
It sounds fairly obvious to stay healthy during the winter, but you’d be surprised at the huge effect your health has on your beauty during the winter. Here are a few basic pointers to follow to keep your health in top form throughout the next few months.
- Keep warm – Most people know this already, but it’s important to wrap up in several layers to keep warm. Cover up any exposed skin so that there’s less chance for a gust of wind to send shivers up and down your body, and make sure you wear several layers to keep the cold out of your body. A cold body is more susceptible to illness, so make sure you prevent it by keeping yourself wrapped up in warmth.
- Get out into the daylight more – Sitting indoors all day can actually cause adverse health problems, and this is amplified even more during the winter. Make sure you get out into the daylight a little more to prevent this from happening.
- Flu shots – If you’re worried about catching the flu then you may want to speak with your doctor about getting a flu shot. It’s not mandatory, but it will certainly help you stay active and healthy during the winter which is always a huge bonus.
Staying healthy is a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised at how ill you can become during the winter if you aren’t taking better care of your body.
Some Final Words
If you want to look your best this winter you need to consider what it takes to look your best on the inside. Taking care of your body and health should be top priorities, not putting on makeup or applying creams to keep your skin smooth. While cosmetics and other products can help you achieve your desired look for less work, it’s not a long-term solution and you’ll feel the negative side effects of neglecting your health. In short, take care of your body so that it takes care of your appearance.