Imagine how distressing it is for a teen or an adult to have pimples how much more your baby? Yes, you heard me right, babies like adults suffer from acne as well. It is also interesting to know that some babies are born with acne. Though the acne is different from that which affects adults but it appears the same; red spots and pimples on the nose, cheeks and forehead and it is not painful.
Baby acne often develops within the first two to four weeks after birth and clears up within three to four months. Although the cause of baby acne is not known but some believe it is as a result of elevated hormone levels of the mother before birth. Areas commonly affected are the face, cheeks, nose and forehead
As a parent it is disturbing, watching your little one battle with acne at such a tender age. But there should be no cause for alarm.
- Try not to use all sorts of soaps in the bid to remove the acne, remember your baby’s skin is sensitive, using such harsh creams on them can cause irritation that wasn’t there before. Creams are a last resort and should only be used when prescribed by a doctor.
- The bumps are not caused by a dirty face so scrubbing will only damage the skin, the state of acne has nothing to do with baby’s body.
- Ensure you always keep your baby’s face clean, you wash the face with warm water daily.
- Use a mild moisturizing facial soap several times a week.
- Dry your baby’s face gently by simply patting the skin dry.
- Do not pinch or scrub the acne, it will only cause more irritation or lead to an infection.
- Avoid using lotions or oils on your baby’s skin.
If your baby’s acne is particularly stubborn, your baby’s doctor may recommend a medicated cream or other treatment. Don’t try any over-the-counter medications without consulting with your baby’s doctor first. Some over-the-counter products may be damaging to a baby’s delicate skin
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates Program. Therefore, the links here might be affiliate links and sales from them may earn a small commission for us – at no extra cost to you. Since we only recommend stuff we have faith in, you’re in good hands.